Ants can be a nuisance in and around your home, but you don't have to resort to harsh chemicals to get rid of them. Borax is a natural and effective way to kill ants without harming your family or pets. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to use borax to get rid of ants:
1. Locate the ant trails: The first step is to locate the ant trails. Ants leave a scent trail for other ants to follow, so it's important to find their path. Look for lines of ants marching along walls, floors, or countertops.
2. Mix borax with sugar: Borax alone won't attract ants, so you need to mix it with something sweet to lure them in. Mix equal parts borax and sugar in a bowl. You can also add a few drops of water to make a paste.
3. Place the mixture along the ant trails: Use a spoon or a small container to place the borax and sugar mixture along the ant trails. Be sure to put it in areas where pets or children won't be able to reach it.
4. Wait for the ants to take the bait: Ants will be attracted to the sweet smell of the sugar and will take the bait back to their colony.
5. Ants will die: Once the ants consume the borax and sugar mixture, they will die within a few days. Borax is toxic to ants and will kill them slowly, allowing them to carry the poison back to the colony and kill even more ants.
6. Clean up the dead ants: After a few days, you will start to see dead ants around the bait. Use a damp cloth to clean them up and dispose of them.
7. Repeat as necessary: If you still see ants after a few days, repeat the process. It may take a few rounds to completely get rid of the ant colony.
In conclusion, using borax to kill ants is an effective and natural way to get rid of these pests. By following these simple steps, you can eliminate ants from your home without the use of harsh chemicals.